Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Buying a Surfboard in Lima, Peru

UPDATE (11/29/2010): After I broke my first board, I had a new board made by a friend of a friend, Daniel Martinez.  He made me an awesome custom board (6'2") and I would highly recommend him to anyone else who wants a new board.  His shop is located in the south side of Lima in/near Barranco.  Here is a video of him making some boards.  The easiest way to contact him is probably through Facebook.

***

During my first two weeks in Lima I tried to ask as many people as I could about where I could get a decent surfboard.

Before I left, I searched on Craigslist - Lima, but found nothing surf-related.  I got the impression that Craigslist is not so popular here.  Later, I posted a 'wanted' listing for a surf board on Craigslist and about a week later, I got a response from Sebastian at nextsurftrip.com.  He had a board, but it wasn´t the size I was looking for.  He recommended I try a Derrem board, (derrem.com), made in Lima.

Piero, from my hostel in Barranco (Hostel Kaminu), who was generous to lend me his board while I searched for my own, recommended I try going to either the Wayo Whilar board shop nearby in Barranco (wayowhilar.com.pe), or to the Klimax surf shop in Miraflores (klimaxsurf.com).  Both shops sell new and used boards for very reasonable prices compared to U.S. prices.

Meanwhile, I came across vendotablasperu.com.  This is the craigslist of Lima surfboards.  The site is clunky but the content is great.  Here I found my surfboard, a 6-year old, plenty-used, 6`5`` board shaped by Peruvian Martín Jerí, for $100.  I was pretty happy about it.

Some locals tell me that my find was 'mas o menos', in terms of a deal.  I have some things to learn.  For example, today when one visitor left the hostel where I am staying in Punta Hermosa, he left his board behind with the hostel owner in exchange for a $30 discount on his hostel bill, rather than paying $150 or so to bring his board back with him on the plane.

I don't know of any websites or boardshops where you can get a deal like that, but if you hang around surfers getting ready to fly, you're sure to get a true bargain board.

If you can recommend other ways to buy a surfboard in Peru, please leave a comment below.

9 comments:

  1. I got a surfboard to sell in Lima:

    Wayo Whilar Funboard 7.6 with bag.. great allround board, all ready to surf. got it from Wayo himself, now selling it for 220$

    take it or leave it, great offer

    Balthazar ( odazide@gmail.com )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Friends, when comming to Peru and in need for boards, contact me I can have your board shaped and ready for when you arrive with your specifications, or we can help you with a good deal on used boards. Feel free to call. 51 1 2541344 look for us in Facebook:wayo whilar, our website:wayowhilar.com.pe, e-mail: wayowhilar@gmail.com
    KEEP SURFING

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great blog, usually I don't post comments on blogs, but I would like to say that this post really forced me to do so!

    Long board & Balsa Long board

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very generous of you for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and will love to learning more on this at future. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog more often with more useful information? Honestly It is extremely helpful for me

    international shipping company & international freight forwarder

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really i am impressed from this post....the person who create this post he is a great human..thanks for shared this with us found this informative and interesting blog so i think so its very useful and knowledge able. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

    Wall Signs Simi Valley , Banners Designs Simi Valley & Wall Signs Simi Valley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is awesome. You have shared very valuable information to us. Thank you so much for sharing this.

    sell used surfboard

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent work and i appreciate your information about the surfing it's good work.

    surf camps

    ReplyDelete
  8. Surfboard Review. editor November 16, 2018 Expert Tips & Advice No Comments. Surfboards are essential items for all surfers who enjoy gliding over waves and having a great time. Surfboards come in various types and are designed for beginners, intermediate and advanced level surfers. For beginners, around board that o Surfboard review

    ReplyDelete